Saturday, October 8, 2011

End of Year Recap

 I ended up going to exactly half of the home games, if you include the away games we played against the Marlins.  I ran short of my goal, but this was due to missing around a month because of my back injury.  From the statistics I compiled, I pretty much proved that if the Mariners scored more than 4 runs, they would win.  Their record was 12-1 when they scored more than 4 runs, which means they won 92% of the time!!!   Unfortunately, it seemed a little too difficult for them to score that many.

Mariners Record By Team Played
As you can see from the stats, I saw the Mariners play 15 different teams, 4 NL and 11 AL teams.  Since there are 14 in the American League, I only missed 2: Baltimore, and Boston.  Our record in Inter-league games was 2-4.  It isn't surprising that the top two teams I saw most frequently were from our division.  Nearly 20% of the time I hit Safeco I had the pleasure of seeing the green and gold of the Athletics, but that is helped by our positive record (5-3).  I was a little surprised that I saw the Rangers as many times as the Blue Jays, but maybe that is a good thing (1-3).

Now I will show a game of all game results organized by date played.  I will do another post on individual batter/pitcher statistics, although that is turning into a bigger venture than I thought!.  As you can see by the chart below, losses are in red and wins in black.  There are so many different ways I can rank/calculate, the options are endless and I could do 15 posts about it.  But I won't, at least for now.

The Greatest Loss was on Opening Night, as we lost by 9 runs to Cleveland.  Our Largest Win was July 1st (Game 19) against San Diego.  Interesting that the Starting Pitcher both games was Jason Vargas. 

Average attendance per game I attended was 22,798.  The capacity of Safeco Field is over 45,000.  The average time of game was 2:41.  The shortest game of the year (Game 34) clocked in at 2:04, and the longest was the historic comeback in Game 3 at 3:46.

The smallest crowd of 12,770 for Game 6 was only 4 tickets above the second smallest (Game 5).

From the table at the top of the page as well as to the left, you can see our pathetic run totals.  We scored 1 or fewer runs in 15 games.  That is over a third of all games I went to!  We won only 1 of those (Game 5), the lowest attended game of the year, and were shut out in 6 of them.  At least we threw 5 of our own!

The absolute worst day to go was Saturday. I find it hard to believe that we lost every single Saturday game I went to! But the stats don't lie, they were 0-9.  That can't be a coincidence.  It will be interesting to see if I find a similar result in 2012

I'm glad I compiled all these, it will be interesting to look for patterns year after year.


No comments:

Post a Comment