Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Perfect Game


Wow, what can I say?  We saw history at the ballpark today, as Philip Humber threw the 21st Perfect Game in MLB history.  27 up, 27 down, and I saw every minute of it.  Sometimes you just have to tip your cap, and appreciate the moment.

19 years ago, almost to the day, I had been at Chris Bosio's no-hitter but left early (didn't realize it was a no-no), this afternoon I was aware of every single moment.  It was probably around the third inning, after we'd been through our lineup once, that I noticed how well Humber was pitching (or was it our ineptness?).  It wasn't until the 5th inning when we went down on 8 pitches that I knew something special was going on.  You could feel it, he was in the zone and we were at a loss offensively.  
Philip Humber - 21st Perfect Game in ML History!

Lost in the game, another great performance by Beavan and our pitching staff, but who really cares how well they pitched, or a rundown of the White Sox scoring... in ten years nobody will remember.  Hell, in two months!

After the pile the celebration continued
The game ended with controversy as it looked like, to me and several others, that pinch hitter Ryan had checked his swing on a wild ball four... but Home Plate umpire Brian Runger said he went around, and Pierzynski was able to hunt down the ball and throw Ryan out at first.  Humber collapsed to the ground, his teammates piled on top of him.  I tried to take in the moment, and also tried to capture it on my camera phone... but it doesn't really do justice.  Everyone in the stadium was really excited to be a part of history, most of the crowd was cheering Humber on when the bottom of the 9th began.  I couldn't... I was hoping we would at least get a walk.  I can take a no-hitter... but a Perfect Game against my team?  Hard to digest.

It is still a bit surreal, I'm not sure what to think about what I just witnessed.  From the seventh inning on I was a bundle of nerves and kept making mistakes on my scoresheet!  I didn't know Lillibridge had come in as a defensive replacement for Viciendo in the 8th inning until he came up to bat in the 9th (and scored the final run).  I put Jaso in as pinch hitter for Saunders instead of Olivo!  My hands were shaking, my heart was racing... I think I am still in shock.  Not many people can say they've seen such a game live and in person, but now I have.

One of the reasons I love baseball is that, as I have mentioned before, you never know what you are going to see at the ballpark.  There is always a chance for History, and today proved that.  Humber isn't one of the elite pitchers in the game, but now his name will live on forever.  Congrats to Humber, now let's shake this off and win tomorrow.

The Mariners are now 2-4 when I attend
Attendance: 22,472
Time of Game: 2:17

Chicago White Sox Scoresheet for Humber's Perfect Game

4-21-2012 - 27 Up, 27 Down, Humber's Name is Hall of Fame Bound as he is Perfect

2 comments:

  1. witnessing history is pretty cool- although I still don't like that it was against us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't like that Ryan should have made it to first... not a bitter fan here I honestly don't think he went around. But nobody will remember that in a couple of years.

      This is a reminder to all, any chance you can get to the ballpark you better go 'cause you could miss something special.

      Delete