Monday, April 11, 2011

Mariners Win! Mariners Win!

Mariners win in improbable fashion, coming from behind after trailing 7-0 going into the bottom of the 7th. We had shown life all game, but never were able to produce until Milton smashed a homer to RF in the 7th. Then we scored 5 runs in the 8th thanks to THREE bases loaded walks. Then in the 9th Saunders led off with a double... ichiro walked, and Luis Rodrigues (came in for an injured Figgins earlier in the game) with an EPIC two out 10 pitch AB in which he launched a ball to the warning track for a game winning single. Way to go guys, way to go!

We snapped a 7 game losing streak, improving to 3-7... I was at this game and I hate to admit that I left in the top of the 8th. It was already 10pm and I had work the next morning. Well you know what, I'm never leaving another damn game early in my life. I wasn't the only one of the record low 13,056 to leave early, an estimated 2,000 or so fans stayed until the
end.

It was an excruciatingly long, frustrating, and crappy game which is why I left early. Felix just didn't have it from the get go, and wasn't bailed out by his defense. We couldn't even complete a rundown! That's little league baseball, guys. (Brendan Ryan dropped the ball). Not to mention the fact that I just didn't think we had any ability to come back and win. I thought we were 2010 all over again, but this team has shown signs of fight. Honestly, I was hoping for an all-out bases clearing brawl so everyone could just clear their emotions, get all the frustrations out. Looks like we didn't need to after all. My friend and I spent a majority of the game watching the out of town scoreboard "watching" other games. Tampa Bay beat Boston 16-5, at Fenway. Both teams are now 2-8!


I decided to try some of the new grub in The Pub. First was the Turkey Crepe, which included cheese, onions, red peppers, and mushrooms. Unfortunately they didn't allow me to remove cheese. In my belief, cheese masks the other flavors. I don't want it unless it is on pizza. Frankly it didn't look too fresh and I was unsure. The cost was $8.50. Pretty reasonable for Safeco prices.

The first few bites were okay, but it got much better a little further down! In all, the food left me wanting more. It was in a cool "pocket" so was easy to walk and bite without dripping or losing any of the valuable contents. Other Crepe choices included two dessert kinds (banana or strawberry with nuts) for $6.50, a veggie, and I think a roast beef? Not sure if I will try again, like I said I was still hungry.

Went back to the seats and talked/took in the sights for about twenty minutes. Then I decided that I was still hungry so needed to grab another bite to eat. I again went back to The Pub where I had been eyes the Wood Fired Pizza slices. They had three choices, pepperoni, cheese, and White. I asked what the white was and was told "Broccoli, Garlic, Olive Oil...". Boy I love Garlic so was sold. For $5 I was given a huge slice and quickly devoured it, so quickly that I forgot to take a picture until a few bites in.



It was good, really good. I pretty much finished the whole thing on the way back to my seat and my friend said that the "leavings" smelled really good. I will definitely be having another slice or two, and at $5 I think it may be one of the best deals at Safeco.

The crowd was interesting, surrounded by a lot of Toronto fans which didn't surprise me. There were a couple of obnoxious ones but mostly, like always, they were very playful and friendly. I've always enjoyed the Toronto series through the years. In the 90s when the Blue Jays were making their World Series runs, the Kingdome always had a fun energy level. For some reason a few people decided to bring their toddlers to the freezing cold game. I do not understand these people. One of my biggest baseball pet peeves.

What can I say, I left the game early... but I did listen on the way home and was able to catch the final out on TV. This one will go down in Seattle history books and I will be able to tell the story of how I was "at that game", and I left early.

M's Record While I Attend: Now 1-2

2 comments:

  1. Omg I'm so jealous! The crepe and the pizza look and sound delicious! Should have gone to a game with you while I was there for the food alone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been fun 'cept it was still Spring Training then. White Pizza wins hands down!

    ReplyDelete