Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Reason for this Blog.

Well, here it goes. I've been a lifelong Mariners fan for as long as I can remember, my family shared season tickets starting in the mid 1980's. Long story short, because of 1995 we had to get our own tickets and so we've been full season ticket holders since 1996. In 2009 I took over the family tickets by myself, and so have been responsible for all Mariners home games the last few years. Because of their general lack of winning, I have a hard time giving them all away and a lot of times I end up going to games by myself. I don't mind this so much, but it can be a daily grind, and I am often unable to go to every game on the homestand.

Let me get one thing straight... I am not one of those Mariners fans who only goes to the game to eat food, watch the hydro races, and "be seen". I am there for one thing only, to watch baseball. I rarely leave my seats, and will often have my radio in to listen to the game (RIP Dave, more on him in a later post). I used to score nearly every game, and for about a decade I've been saying I should make my own scoresheet. One of these days...

When Safeco opened, we sat next to several other season ticket holders that I still converse with to this day. Over the years we have all moved up and down the section, but we still chat baseball nearly every game (especially the last few years with the sparse crowds).

I thought this blog would be a good way to get my frustrations out over the year. Maybe I'll share a few funny stories. Mostly, I thought it would be a fun thing to do. This will be less about the nuts and bolts of the game (although I do love statistics), and more about the feelings/emotions... my general impressions. I'm 30 years old, I don't understand these new statistics. Baseball is much more than statistics anyway. It is about heart. It is about the smell of the peanuts and grass, the sound of the ball hitting the bat. It is about sharing stories and being with friends and family. So, that's what I hope this blog will be.

2 comments:

  1. cool! i'm excited you started this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks... it'll give me something to do and i will be able to keep "my stats" here... how many games i attend and what our record is etc.

    ReplyDelete