Sunday, April 10, 2011

Opening Night at the Safe

April 8, 2011


Well, what a disaster. In the end, we lost 12-3... gave up 10 runs to the Indians in the 4th. This was our 5th loss in a row after opening up the season 2-0.

Safeco has a few new things, I didn't get too good a look at The Pen (renovated Bullpen Market) because we ate at Uwajimaya and didn't get into the stadium until 6:25. The pregame hoopla/ceremony was supposed to start at 6:30 and I wanted to get to my new seats. I had chicken pho, by the way. Last year the first 8 times I ate pho before the game we won, so I was trying to do my best as a fan.

The Pen was PACKED. I did get a glimpse of the new fireplace/lounge area but was trying to weave in and out of the crowd. Anyway, got to my new seats. I had moved down three rows to try and get closer to the action (and closer to other season ticket holders). My hopes were also to be able to sell tickets by being closer to the field, that hasn't really worked out yet. I haven't sold any tickets on stubhub so far.

The pregame ceremony was disappointing. We had the usual red carpet entrance and player introductions. Then King Felix got his Cy Young, and Ichiro got another Gold Glove... along with an absent Guti who is still down in Arizona with stomach issues.




Then we were supposed to have a touching tribute to Dave Niehaus. I love that man, I grew up on him. I fell asleep to his voice when I was a child... and was devastated by his loss. I went down for the informal Open House after he passed, as well as the formal memorial service. Those were very touching and emotional days for all of us... and I was expecting the same on Opening Night. The Mariners had 5 months to plan for a special ceremony, and instead that had a local rapper perform a song... which frankly was lame. They unveiled a permanent display above the broadcaster booth, and his widow Marilyn threw out the first pitch to Felix (surrounded by her family). I was very disappointed, they really missed the mark. Niehaus deserved much more than that. They also showed a clip of the unveiling of the renaming of 1st Ave S to Dave Niehaus Way. I wish I could have been there to see that. Usually I like to be there for the countdown on Opening Day, but wasn't able to make it this year.




I don't have much more to say on the game... we were blown out and it was the worst opener in Mariners history. Vargas just didn't have it.

Oh, Mom almost had her head taken off by a foul. Instead it took out a guy's cellphone and bounced over to the next aisle. She had just finished telling me that day that she no longer wanted the foul ball she caught a few years ago (it landed in her lap) off the bat of Marco Scutaro.

Grounds crew came out with a new dance... one of my pet peeves but I'm always interested in their new routines.

0-1 When I attend, it was sold out.

No comments:

Post a Comment